UTM Parameters for Google Analytics
What is a UTM parameter?
UTM parameters, also called UTM tags or codes, are customizable pieces of text that allow analytics software (like Google Analytics) to track campaign traffic. Attaching them to a URL can help you gauge the effectiveness of your campaigns and identify the best ways to drive more visitors to your website.
- utm_source: Identify the advertiser, site, publication, etc. that is sending traffic to your property, for example, Google, newsletter4, billboard.
- utm_medium: The advertising or marketing medium, for example, CPC, banner, email newsletter.
- utm_campaign: The individual campaign name, slogan, promo code, etc. for a product.
- utm_term: Identity paid search keywords. If you're manually tagging paid keyword campaigns, you should also use utm_term to specify the keyword.
- utm_content: Used to differentiate similar content or links within the same ad. For example, if you have two call-to-action links within the same email message, you can use utm_content and set different values for each so you can tell which version is more effective.
utm_source=summer-mailerto identify traffic that results from your Summer Sale email campaign
utm_medium=emailto identify traffic from the email campaign vs. the in-app campaignutm_campaign = summer-sale to identify the overall campaign
Correctly setting UTM Parameters when linking to an Experience
To display a single Experience we use a hash symbol (
#id=) in the URL to identify which experience to load.
Standard implementations, guides & online tools put the UTM parameters at the end of a URL. This will not work because Google will ignore any parameters in a URL after a hash sign (
To properly setup UTM parameters when a hash sign is present in the URL, you need to put the UTM parameters before the hash sign.
Will not work:
Contact your Account Manager or our Customer Experience team at email@example.com if you have any additional questions. If you wish to use an Analytics Solution we do not natively support please send the required information and/or Scripts our way.
If you have any additional questions, you can contact our Customer Experience team at firstname.lastname@example.org.